MARTINEZ – A person was injured in a fire Wednesday at the Martinez Refining Company, officials said.
Related Articles
Map: Silver Fire evacuation near Bishop
Evacuations ordered as winds pose challenges for firefighters battling Northern California wildfire
Gov. Newsom issues order for undergrounding power lines in fire zones
FEMA again pushes back on renewed push to test soil after Southern California wildfires
Paradise reconstruction to take 20 years, mayor tells California Realtors
Around 8:20 p.m., Contra Costa Health announced its hazmat team was responding to a report of a fire at the facility, located in the 3400 block of Pacheco Boulevard.
“We are monitoring to determine if there are any potential health concerns,” the agency said in a social media post. “At this time, we are not aware of any offsite impacts.”
In a follow-up post shortly before 9 p.m., Contra Costa Health said the fire had been extinguished. The refinery reported that “someone suffered an injury from the fire.”
Contra Costa Health said it has asked the Martinez Refining Company to submit a 72-hour report.
The fire is the second at the facility since Feb. 1. Contra Costa Health issued a Level 3 alert in response to the incident. Half a dozen workers were also evaluated by medical personnel and released.
On Thursday, the Martinez Refining Company plans to restart some of the refinery process units that were not involved in last month’s fire. The effort is expected to take roughly two weeks and could result in intermittent flaring, according to the company.
Check back for updates.