Home

About Us

Advertisement

Contact Us

  • Facebook
  • X
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest
  • WhatsApp
  • RSS Feed
  • TikTok

Interesting For You 24

Your Trusted Voice Across the World.

    • Contacts
    • Privacy Policy
Search

Fremont police chief announces retirement after 28 years

June 18, 2025
Fremont police chief announces retirement after 28 years

FREMONT — Sean Washington, Fremont’s the first Black police chief, will retire this summer, the city announced Tuesday.

“Serving this community and the Fremont Police Department for over 28 years — including nearly four years as chief — has been an extraordinary honor and privilege,” Washington said in a statement. “I am profoundly grateful for the opportunity to work alongside such talented individuals and will ensure a smooth leadership transition.”

Washington’s last day will be Aug. 9. He cited “consideration of both personal and professional factors” as reasons for his retirement.

His law enforcement career began in 1998 in Fremont, and he rose through the ranks — from sergeant in 2007, to lieutenant in 2011 and captain in 2015, before becoming chief in 2021. Over the years, he worked as a detective, field training officer, SWAT team member and a school resource officer.

He was an advocate for the Special Olympics of Northern California and other police-sponsored programs, such as Joshua’s Gift Autism Registry and the 30×30 Initiative, which is aimed at increasing the number of women in law enforcement.

Washington also spearheaded the nation’s first Tesla patrol vehicle program, which added electric vehicles to the city’s patrol fleet, oversaw a new “drone as first responder” program and created a Police Chief’s Youth Advisory Board.

City Manager Karena Shackelford noted Washington’s “unwavering service and exceptional leadership” in a statement Tuesday.

“His focus on compassion and fairness has fostered trust between law enforcement and our community while upholding the dignity of every person,” Shackelford said.

In recent years, he found himself at the center of a lawsuit against the city from Annabel Bobbitt, the widow of the late former police Capt. Fred Bobbitt. The Bobbitt family in court claimed Bobbitt’s death by suicide was influenced by pressure for him to retire early and retaliation from city officials.

Bobbitt had been eyeing the open chief position, but the city passed him up and instead gave the job to Washington.

The Fremont City Council unanimously approved a $1.5 million settlement in the wrongful death case in closed session on July 16, 2024.

Featured Articles

  • SF Giants’ Rodríguez recommended to undergo Tommy John surgery

    SF Giants’ Rodríguez recommended to undergo Tommy John surgery

    August 30, 2025
  • Single-family residence sells for $3.3 million in Palo Alto

    Single-family residence sells for $3.3 million in Palo Alto

    August 30, 2025
  • Letters: State can lead the nation away from political trickery

    Letters: State can lead the nation away from political trickery

    August 29, 2025
  • What Burning Man can teach you about yourself and the world, even if you never go

    What Burning Man can teach you about yourself and the world, even if you never go

    August 29, 2025
  • Brush fire shuts down eastbound I-580 in Altamont Pass

    Brush fire shuts down eastbound I-580 in Altamont Pass

    August 29, 2025

Search

Latest Articles

  • SF Giants’ Rodríguez recommended to undergo Tommy John surgery

    SF Giants’ Rodríguez recommended to undergo Tommy John surgery

    August 30, 2025
  • Single-family residence sells for $3.3 million in Palo Alto

    Single-family residence sells for $3.3 million in Palo Alto

    August 30, 2025
  • Letters: State can lead the nation away from political trickery

    Letters: State can lead the nation away from political trickery

    August 29, 2025

181 Peachtree St NE, Atlanta, GA 30303 | +14046590400 | [email protected]

Scroll to Top